It was time to finish the sub-floor boxes and get them attached to the metal flange of the trailer! This seems like an easy task, but all the steps it entailed lead to quite the project. The first step was attaching aluminum flashing to the bottom sides of each box. The first roll of flashing we purchased was 10″ by 50″ and we were able to finish a box and a half. When we went to purchase the remaining flashing, we discovered a roll in stock slightly different, but measuring 24″ by 50″. The price difference was about $30, but with the extra width we figured it would be worth the splurge and it would give us less seams to seal up. Less seams equal less of a chance for moisture to find a way in, AND less ducting tape to be sure all the seams are properly sealed. After completing the flashing, we continued to cover any and all seams before moving onto our next step, Insulation.
Insulation…..where do I begin. We were gifting these amazing foam board insulation panels from my mom. They were various thicknesses, lengths and widths. We did our best to fill each box as full as possible. Although this was foam insulation, it still made us very itchy, making it uncomfortable to work with. Richelle even formed a small rash on her arm from it, but kept on trucking along. We ended up with only a 2″ by 2″ section leftover, and were very grateful this was a purchase we didn’t have to come out-of-pocket on. It saved us a good bit of money and for us every little bit helps.
Next we needed to fill any and all gaps that we found in the boxes with Great Stuff. That step didn’t take us too long, but boy was it messy! We took a lunch break/cool down after that to give the spray foam time to set and expand. (We have had a 100+ degree heat index pretty regular this summer.) When we came back for round two, it had set and even overflowed in certain spots. We used a hand saw to make sure everything was level again and ready for the top sub-floor layer. Almost forgetting, I then went around the trailer drilling holes for the bolts that would attach the sub-floor boxes to the trailer itself. We used about 20 3 1/2″ inch thick screws, making sure at least 4 were in each box corner. We did add more than necessary just for safe measures and reinforcement.
Now it was time to cover the tops of the sub-floor boxes with a vapor barrier. This proved to be very challenging and was Richelle’s least favorite step to date. It was windy and made it very hard to get it straight and laid out properly. We set a bead of caulk on the edges of the sub-floor boxes to help attached it until final layer on wood goes on. We then grabbed scrap wood we had lying around and used them to keep everything held down. We decide to call it a day, with possible heat exhaustion, so we tarped it up to protect it from moisture and hit it. The next weekend we would concentrate on adding the tongue and groove OSB boards to finish up our flooring.
Until next time,
Andria and Richelle
Tiny House Girls